Gator Nation

Gator Nation

Thursday, July 18, 2019

That Neighbor With All The Cool Stuff - B Meet vs RSG

I overheard a funny conversation on Monday night between a Riverside Gardens parent and coach that I'd like to share. 

Coach: "Your son did really well tonight."

Parent: "He missed his backstroke event."

Coach: "I meant that he behaved well."

Parent: "Well, thanks. It's just so distracting when he comes here to swim. There is so much stuff around and so many friends."

Coach: "Oh, and he did good swimming the Fly, too."

I laughed about this one on a couple fronts.

First, the differing expectations of coach and parent: parent thinking about swim, coach thinking about behavior. (This reminds me a lot of school, too, where good behavior seems to be more highly regarded than good performance these days... not sure what that says about our kids behavior in general, but that's another blog post.)

The natural beauty of the park really can be distracting...
Second, just like that famous internet meme, I catch myself all the time peeking over my shoulder and checking out the other pools and the cool stuff that they have or do that I wish we had here. It's always nice to see that reverse side of that when the other pools come to the Swamp and comment on how different and enjoyable it is. Even to the level of distraction and missing events.

I think the lesson in this is that there are some solid behavior traits our kids are gaining by swimming here... and making sure they work through all the distractions to show up and swim their events.

Sometimes it's the little things.

Goggles? Goggles? We don't need no stinking goggles. 
Anyway, the RSG "B" Meet went off without a hitch. No thunder, no rain, and done before dark. I think that may be a first in my time here. Kudos to the officials and meet management team for getting through this one so efficiently.

There was a lot of good swimming (for those who showed up to their races). Check out the results here. And pictures here.

Go Gators!

Fly pics = best pics. 

1 comment: