Gator Nation

Gator Nation

Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Reflections of a Gator by Leigh Kovalsky

 As I sit down to write this, I can’t believe this will be my last summer as a gator. The past 13 years have gone by faster than ever imagined. At age 5 when I first began swimming, I had no idea what I was getting myself into other than simply going to swim practice and swimming in meets. But little did I know the gators would grow to become a community I’d never ever forget. 

Over the years I was lucky enough to be coached by the best, Coach Paul, who always pushed me to do my best, despite the fact that I was never a constant A-meet swimmer. I’ll never forget the first time Paul brought all of us 11-12’s up to the big pool to watch the older kids play water polo where he said “get ready to join them next practice” with the biggest smirk on his face.  That was the scariest swim practice of my life. But since that day I grew to look forward to playing, and beating my brother’s team, of course. 


As I look back on my time as a gator, nothing but fun memories come to mind. From hot and sticky Monday night B-meets to fast flying fish to all-nighter coaches retreats to bloody sharks and minnows (shout out to Paige Humphreys), every minute has been a blast but boy has it flown by fast.

But aside from all the fun I’ve had, the gators have been so much more than just a summer swim team. The gators have served as a team, job, family, community, and place I’ll never forget.

If you’re reading this and deciding whether or not to pay the fee to register your kid for summer swim, this is your sign - do it. This place has done more for me than I’ll ever be able to put into words, but one thing I can say is that it will change your life. I've disagreed with my parents on a lot of things (sorry Mom and Dad!) but this is one thing I’ll never argue with them about. Growing up as a Gator, I’ve been taught so many lessons both in and out of the water that I know I’ll use throughout my life. 

I’d like to thank the entire gator community for making the past 13 years nothing but fun.  To the various coaches and team reps that have joined us over the years, thank you for pushing me to do my best and adding on to the wonderful MVP Gator experience. To my other senior Gators, thank you for giving me some lifelong friendships and memories I won’t ever forget.


The MVP Gators have given me so much over the years and I’m so happy I was able to give just a little bit back by coaching the young ones and teaching them how to swim. So once again, if you’re on the fence about signing up for swim team, just do it. Trust me. You’ll see exactly what all us seniors are talking (and maybe crying) about soon ....

1 comment: