Gator Nation

Gator Nation

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Reflections of a Gator - by Cameron Morey

Throughout the multiple years on the Gator team, I have many fond memories. One of the earliest I can think of was a pep rally, where Josh Stein and I had to push a watermelon across the pool together, it was actually just Josh because my 8 year old self was just about as big as the watermelon (hard to believe isn’t it). Then there was the time when I DQd in backstroke, and by ‘the time,’ I mean every single swim for about 2 years when I was 9 and 10 years old. I’m surprised I still got to swim the event in A meets, but eventually I quit DQing.  My favorite swim ever was during all-star relays when Nick Dupuis’ swim suit ripped right down the back right before he dove in and our entire relay team was in tears watching as the timers and referees tried to avert their eyes.  The first time I made the mixed age relay at about 11, Kevin Mardi gave me my first fast skin, that had to be like 20 sizes too small or at least it felt that way. How do we get those on anyway??  I loved being part of the 15-18 Medley Relay that broke a 40 year-old pool record and also a part of the Mixed Age Relay that broke a 27 year-old pool record.  I enjoyed the endless water polo games with the older swimmers, which many times were just the boys and Tori Bolger.

However, my most memorable moments on the Gator team are the ones coaching.  Thank you Kelli and Paul Makin for giving me the opportunity to see how rewarding it is.   Every time I get in the water to help out the young gators and all the times I was splashed really resonated with me, and have taught me a lot about what I plan to do in the future, as well as just general life skills. I also want to thank all the coaches for dealing with me. Kelli Makin for being there to shut me up when I would not stop talking at practice and finding me for the 8 and under relay that I would’ve missed due to my obsession with fishing in the pond. Laurel for being an amazing mother of the team and being one of my best friends, both on MVP and NCAP. Paul for being so hard on me and helping me realize my potential and always being there to give me a laugh.  And Kellee Brotherton, for being an amazing coach to me and my teammates, as well as a good friend.

As I move on to the next phase of my life, I will always look back fondly on these memories that helped form the person I’ve been and I will always be a gator.  Eyeballs.  GATORS.

No comments:

Post a Comment