Gator Nation

Gator Nation

Thursday, July 12, 2018

Collin Sundsted’s “Reflections of a Gator”

As I’m sitting here typing today, I look back on many fond memories of being a Gator for nine years. The first memory I have at all of being a gator was my first B-Meet. I was seven years old and was in awe of all of the strong and massive 15-18 boys swimmers. Being the nervous child I am, I used to (still do) get butterflies before I swim in a meet. My first B-Meet, as one may imagine, was scary for a rookie Gator like me. When we walked over to the flagpole to start our cheers, my little Gator eyes started to tear up, I quickly put on my clear goggles, thinking that this would hide my emotion. Sean Bourne, if any of you remember, was a senior at the time and asked me what was wrong? I told him I was nervous and he lifted me up on his shoulder for the cheers. He made me feel completely a part of the family.
When I was a Little Gator
In another funny moment, I remember trying to target a specific color ribbon in B-meets so I could get all the colors of the rainbow to put on my refrigerator.  I even learned too many life lessons to count being a Gator.  An important one came a few years later at morning practice when Paul called us out of the water to tell us something important. I asked a stupid question about a song, and he made me “drop” and give him “20 pushups for stupidity.”  Early mornings, discipline, prioritization, being humble and helping others are also lessons that come to mind. 


Of course, I will always remember the records our relay team (Cole Miller, Nick Dupuis, Sean Jansen and I) broke that have already been re-broken—Go Gators, keep the records coming!  I believe I still have one up on the board, but I have not checked recently… it’s probably gone.
Gator relays rock!
I will remember the countless water polo games with way too many people in the water, all of the Primo’s dinners after divisional relays, all of the banquets, the Bolger’s’ house after all-star relays and so many more swim team traditions. I used to always shave my head every summer because Josh Stein used to do it and I thought he was the coolest guy on the face of the earth. I will remember all of the laughs I shared with all of my teammates and friends at practices, meals, meets, and teen nights. Oh, speaking of meals, I will never forget when my table was the last to receive our lunch after an A meet this year. I don’t think I have ever been hungrier.

Lastly, coming up with the Gator “Whuup” is something I pride myself in. I will never forget my friend Willie and I looking up on the internet what sound a gator makes. For those of you who don’t believe me I have the paper plate award to prove it.


I am so thankful for all of the people I have come across through not only MVP but the swimming community. I’d like to thank all of the coaches, specifically Paul, Kelli, and Laurel for always pushing me to be a better swimmer and man. I appreciate everyone who has helped me along my swimming career and want everyone to know their hard work and dedication on all of the swimmers doesn’t go unnoticed. Once a Gator, always a Gator. Whuup!

No comments:

Post a Comment