Gator Nation

Gator Nation

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Memories of a Gator

(Every year, I ask a graduating senior to write a remembrance of their time on the team.  It's always the best article of the year.  This year I say that with extra pride, as the  article was written by Julia Bolger, who is 18 and in her final season of summer swim before heading off to study at the University of Virginia.)

I joined the Mount Vernon Park Gators at the tender age of six the way so many other young children do – my parents made me. I was one of those kids who cried at every practice, would make up as many excuses as I could not to go, and generally hated swimming.

All of that changed the next year, when I was asked as a 7 year old to swim at an A meet. I only got fourth place, but I had a taste of the big time. That was back when we still swam duel meets in the 50 meter pool and the 8 and under races finished with the ‘catchers’ who stood at the 25 meter mark. Looking back, I’m not sure how many of those races were actually called at the exact 25 meter mark, but all I know is that when I saw those big kids standing there, waiting for me to finish, my life’s goal was to become a ‘catcher’.

The current 25 meter pool was completed before I could become a catcher, but I still have plenty of memories from those early morning meets, sitting in the team area on the hill and trying to find a spot to put my towel where I wouldn’t accidentally slide down, from drinking water on the manhole covering the drain on the hill to jumping off the high dive after the end of the meet (I still can’t believe they got rid of that!).

A lot has changed over the past 13 seasons I’ve been on the swim team. We’ve had 5 different coaches, moved up 10 divisions (that’s right, MVP was Division 13 when I joined), and seen countless records fall, especially on the girls’ side. I’ve seen new traditions formed, such as the famous Gator Grunt, and I have finally stayed up all night at the end-of-season camp out. I’ve gone to All Stars and All Star Relays, and I’ve even gotten a medal and numerous ‘puffy’ ribbons (which are clearly superior to the plain old regular All Star ribbons). I’ve been witness to the infamous MVP-Waynewood developmental meet curse and sat through countless rain and thunder delays. I’ve painted cars, chalked the walk, made t-shirts, painted toes, drawn and written on myself, worn costumes, participated in skits, and been pied in the face (why did we start that pep rally tradition as soon as I became an assistant coach? I never got to pie anyone!). In short, I have loved every minute of summer swim team.
Leading the cheers!
Some of my favorite memories are definitely from being a part of the 13 and over practice group. I feel bad for my friends from younger years who stopped swimming; they’ve missed out on countless moments of laughter and fun. I’ve done everything, such as crazy teen nights, Starbucks runs, and trips to Kings Dominion, and I’ve enjoyed every minute of being an older member of the team. It definitely comes with its perks, such as telling the 13-14 girls to be quiet at practice.

Of all my memories, some of my fondest are as an assistant coach for the Gators. From threatening to throw kids in the pond, to leading cheers, to learning to respond to the name “Bob”, being a coach has taught me lessons in patience, understanding, and, most of all, the best angle with which to launch a small child into water. I’ve been swarmed, tackled, soaked, pied, taunted, chased, and near-drowned by the little Gators I coach, and I’ve loved every minute of it. In all honesty, coaching has been one of my favorite parts about swim team, and without it, my last few summers would have been a lot emptier.


When I look back on this season, and all my previous seasons as a Gator, I am shocked and awed as to how far the team has come. Winning seasons are always a blast, of course, but even when our team wasn’t the best in the division I’ve always had fun. And frankly, I don’t particularly care about possibly going 0-5 this season; I’m just excited to be able to tell people that MY pool, MY Gators, are among the top 18 teams in the NVSL. Ten divisions in thirteen seasons – that’s quite an accomplishment.

As I write this, I’m a little nostalgic and melancholy over leaving the team next season. But I know that I’ll be back quite a bit, just to check up on all of you, especially those little troublemakers who are the 9-10 girls. Mount Vernon Park has given my summers a purpose for the past 13 years, and I can’t just walk away, no strings attached (it helps that I still have 2 younger sisters on the team and the team reps as parents). Thank you to everyone who has helped me be who I am today, from my very first coach to the littlest 5 year old I’ve worked with. I can’t think of a better sport, or a better team, to be a part of.

And for the record, I am currently and forever shall be the Sharks and Minnows and water polo champion of the Mount Vernon Park swim team!

2 comments:

  1. Great, great essay Julia. Thanks for sharing not only your enthusiasm and skills as a coach for these last few years but also your memories and what your many Gator years have meant to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hii Julia aka BOB its bea here and i hope you like college remember too visit us 9-10 gurls back at the pool u rock gurll see yaa some time Julia

    Beatrice Heratsch

    ReplyDelete