Gator Nation

Gator Nation

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Memories of a Gator -- by Jessica Metter

(Editor's Note: Each year, I ask the graduating Gators to write a blog post about their memories of being a Gator.  Sarah Busch's is right below this one, and others will be posted as they are sent to me. Jessica will be attending the University of Missouri in the Fall.)

I put off writing this for a long time and for no good reason either. For me, writing this would be acknowledging that this is the end of swim team and I wasn’t ready for it, even as I write this I don’t want to say good bye.


Most of you who are reading this already know that I’ve been swimming with the Gators for 13 years, swam club for 9 of them and have been helping out on deck and as a coach for five years. I met some of my best friends through this program and it has been my summer home for these past 13 years.  I remember one of my first years of swimming when we won division 12 and everyone went crazy. We couldn’t believe that we had done it and were so proud of ourselves. Fast forward to now, three head coaches later and 9 divisions higher to find where the program is today. It makes me incredibly proud of the team to show that we have the drive and heart to be one of the top teams in NVSL.


There are so many things I’ve learned from this team and sport that follow me everywhere I go. I learned to push myself to reach for that wall, to do that extra 50 in practice, to not take that one last breathe my lungs wanted but didn’t need. By doing that I learned to hold myself accountable, to push myself to be the best I could be, and be disciplined. I took these skills from swimming and applied them to school and my other sports. Lacrosse is the sport I’ve had the most success with, but with my Gator pride pushing me all the way. I got into one of the top programs for Pre-Veterinary Medicine in the country at a great school that I love. I don’t think I could have done it without using the skills I learned at Mount Vernon Park.



 I have never been the fastest swimmer in the pool but I worked hard at it. Simply because I knew I could be better and wanted to go faster. I went from a developmental swimmer as an 8 and under to becoming an A meet swimmer as a 9 and over. I have never been the fastest on the team but I have a boxful of ribbons that show just how many points I have earned for the Gators and how many meets I’ve helped win.

I didn’t swim for any other reason than I love it. I love being in the water and being active – my parents always called me a fish. My favorite part of coaching, especially the little ones, is that they have so much enthusiasm for swimming. All of them want to go first and all want to get better. It makes me smile everyday because I am sure that is how I acted when I was their age, especially the 6 and unders.


I am so sad that this is my last season but I understand that it is time to move on. I know the team will continue to get stronger and someday soon you or your child will be sitting down to write this and trying not to cry. Dr. Seuss said, “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”  Keep that in mind when you see all the smiles of gators at practice or meets. I am going to miss my Gator family and can’t wait to see what each of them and the team will accomplish.

1 comment:

  1. Very nicely written Jessica! You have captured what I hope every Gator swimmer will get to experience. Good luck to you in the future.

    ReplyDelete