Gator Nation

Gator Nation

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Memories of A Gator -- by Sarah Busch

(Editor's Note: Each year, I ask the graduating Gators to write a blog post about their memories of being a Gator.  Sarah's is the first this season, and others will be posted as they are sent to me.  Sarah will be attending Virginia Tech in the Fall.)

I cannot seem to find a way to explain how much being a Gator has meant to me. I look to all of the Gators that have “graduated” from the team in the past and to the new Gators that I met just this season in disbelief. My time as a Gator has almost come to a close. I joined the Gators in 2002 when I was just six years old. None of us owned flippers, so I could barely make it across the pool, but I did. Some of the faces I met that fateful year are those I still swim next to this very day. Although this may seem surprising, I am not fazed. Those who have stayed for thirteen years have caught the Gator spirit.


I have seen so much change come through such a resilient program. From the growth of our once small team, to one of the biggest in the area to climbing from Division 12 to Division 3, some things have never changed. I will never lose the camaraderie and friendships that I have made on the team which will outlast any trial. I will never forget all of the rainy meets I have spent either huddled into the pavilion or in the car at an away meet. Or the campouts where I would try and stay up all night and then sleep the entire next day. These memories are timeless and truly will never be forgotten.

Although I never became the fastest swimmer I always wanted to be, it does not matter. I may have never made all-stars or relay carnival, but the truth is, not many swimmers do. I have stuck with this team because I care strongly about what we stand for, not for all of the plaques or blue ribbons. I would never take back any of the memories I have made for that. I love this team because of its relentless sportsmanship. I cannot remember a time where we never shook hands after a race or did not have a high-five line along the fence.



As my final season comes to a close, I leave with cherished memories as both a coach and a swimmer, yet I leave with the fresh memory of sportsmanship through another swimmer, Kaila, to which I will never forget. At the end of the day, I leave with the knowledge that sportsmanship will always get you further in life than winning. I leave as a Gator.

1 comment:

  1. Very nicely written Sarah! You are an inspiration to so many. Good luck in your future endeavors and keep carrying that Gator Pride!

    ReplyDelete