Gator Nation

Gator Nation

Friday, July 15, 2016

Reflecting On Our Gator Seniors

When I was a parent of younger children, I always felt like I had so much time.  Like all parents I'm sure, everything seemed like it was ahead of me.  When my kids were in elementary school I had all those middle and high school years down the road.  It just seemed like everything was in the future.  I remember when Katelyn turned 10, Carrie, said to me "well this is a milestone.  We've now had Katelyn home longer than we have left with her before she goes off to college."  For some reason that hit me hard and I've been more aware since then of the passage of time, the significant growth of my kids, and the need to cherish all our days together.  

My own personal journey of parenting connects to what we will celebrate tomorrow during our A meet against Donaldson Run - Senior Day.  I'll be honest that years ago when my kids were little Gators the significance of Senior Day was lost on me a little.  Like everyone, I really enjoyed celebrating our Seniors as they near the end of their MVP Gator experience (as swimmers anyways) and prepare to begin the next chapter of their lives, often heading off to college.  But again, there was a slight feeling of detachment because I just wasn't there yet and couldn't truly appreciate the emotions that parents must feel when their kids are "leaving the nest."  Since then the years have flown by, even faster than I could have imagined.  Now my kids are in high school and Brian's Senior Day is only a few years off.  I thought I had so much time, but time is catching up to me.  Over the last couple of summers I've had a much greater appreciation for the transition our Gator kids go through - from tiny 6&under Gators, to those middle age brackets (11/12 and 13/14), to the last few years swimming in that final 15-18 age group.

Tomorrow I will be up on the hill celebrating our Seniors with a reflective heart and a great appreciation for all that these amazing kids have accomplished, as Gators and in the rest of their lives.  No matter what division we swim in, how many relay teams we send to all-stars, or how many records we break, the reflection I have today is that swim team kids are amazing young people with much to contribute to our communities and the world.  Unique, talented, thoughtful, spirited, focused, and full of character are words that quickly come to mind when I think about our current Seniors and the many other Gators that have graduated from our amazing team over the years.

Congratulations to all the wonderful Seniors we celebrate this year - Kevin Adams-Mardi, Jessie Bricker, Tristin Colaizzi, Anna Fracasso, Sarah Jones, Gus Leyden, Molly Passacantando, and Kaila Stein!  We are truly sad to see you go, but excited for your future!

No comments:

Post a Comment