Gator Nation

Gator Nation

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Thoughts on the Tragedy - Remembering Mark Fracasso

Unable are the loved to die. For love is immortality.
- Emily Dickinson

Eight years ago Mount Vernon Park, and the community as a whole, lost a wonderful young man, Mark Fracasso.  Mark was 15 years old and very active at MVP – as a Gator swimmer, tennis player, lifeguard, and overall nice guy that loved to be at the Park as much as possible.
Mark with his parents, Mark and Michele Fracasso, and their daughter Ali
Glen Bolger, previous Team Rep and Gator blogger, has run reflections on this tragedy every year since Mark died in an accident and Glen asked me if I would post the special blog one more time in honor of Mark and in support of the Fracasso family during Anna’s last summer swimming for the Gators.  Anna is 18 and was celebrated with fellow Seniors a couple weekends ago.  I told Glen that I would be honored to remember Mark and the Fracasso family in this special way.

Recently I reached out to Mark’s parents, Michele and Mark, to ask if they would be willing to share a picture or two of Mark for all those that knew and loved him, as well as those Gators that never had the chance to meet or spend time with him.  They were very kind to send me two wonderful pictures.  Michele shared with me a few words that provide insight into the type of Gator Mark was.  He was a humble team member, and once asked Sean Bourne (another great MVP swimmer at that time) to swim another leg at Division Relay Carnival, because he knew he was not going to swim as fast as Sean.

We will never forget you Mark.
Eight years ago my two kids were young swimmers and Carrie and I were beginning our Gator journey and just starting to get to know MVP families, and unfortunately we never had the chance to meet Mark.  But I am certain I would have liked him very much.  As I look at his pictures I see the enthusiasm, happiness, and fun spirit of hundreds of Gator kids that have come through the program, thrived, and touched my heart.

I encourage all Gator families to read the blog posted some years ago, remember the Fracasso family, reflect on the amazing community that is Mount Vernon Park, and hug each other a little tighter today.  One of my favorite reflections as my kids get older is that the days go slow, but the years go by fast.  May all of us remember that our days together are precious.

Here is the link to the Reflections: 


Our hearts and prayers are with the Fracasso family today and always. 

1 comment:

  1. I very vividly remember Mark. I was his coach and teammate when he was quite young. He was certainly a memorable personality!! Even as a little kid, he was always laughing and making those around him smile. He was a genuinely fun kid--the kind you couldn't wait to see every day at practice to see what he'd come up with.

    I don't want to ascribe motivations to the Fracasso family but I have been amazed by their resilience in the face of an unfathomable tragedy. I cannot imagine the pain, both immediate and enduring, that losing a child brings. It seems to me that they have kept on their path not despite Mark's passing but because they are unwilling to let his spirit fade away. I feel there is so much we can learn from the Fracasso family and their grace under fire.

    ReplyDelete