Gator Nation

Gator Nation

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Memories of a Gator: Torie Bolger

 Torie will be attending Elon University starting in late August.


Every summer for the past 13 years, I have looked forward to waking up early and going to Gator practice. To many of my friends this idea of getting up early in the summer and hopping into a cold pool was ridiculous, but to me Gator swim was so much more than that. It was seeing friends that you missed for the last 9 months, annoying Coach Paul into water polo, and coaching kids that you never thought would make such a huge impact on your life. 

I put off writing my memories of a Gator because that meant that this part of my life ending is real. The Gators aren’t just a team to me and Mount Vernon Park isn’t just a pool; they’re family and MVP is home; it always has been and always will be.




I have loved every second of being on this team. From the dreaded Waynewood B-meets, winning All Star Relays as an 8 and under, to going 4-1 in my final season. One of my favorite memories of the team was when I was a much younger Gator and all the teen coaches had this ghost story that they would tell. A couple of them would get us together and walk us around the pond telling the same story every year. Every year I would go and tell them that it was the dumbest story and no one believed them. One year, they decided to mix it up a bit, one of the coaches actually hid in the pond while the other signaled him to get rise up from the water and scare the daylights out of us. I remember the water moving and the noise coming from his mouth, I was so freaked out that I took off sprinting in the other direction back to my parents. When I looked back, they were rolling on the ground laughing. I went back to ask them why they did it and they looked back at me and said “because it’s fun.” Even though my heart leapt out of my chest that night, that campout remains one of my favorites.

I could go on and on about all the memories I have made from this team, but instead I want to take the time to thank everyone who has made my time on this team the best. To all my other Gator seniors, it’s been such a pleasure to swim with you all over the years. To the coaches, keep the spirit up and don’t let the dance parties on deck stop. To Coach Emily, you have really made this last season great between all your dance moves to your amazing coaching skills. To Coach Paul, these last 10 years have really been amazing. You have had such an impact in the way I look at swimming and leadership. You have taught me so much and I will always remember that. I will miss you all so much next summer! (Insert triple Gator grunt).

Remember, once a Gator, always a Gator.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks Tori. The epic water battles will go on, but will not be the same without a Bolger in the water. You made us all proud by showing all the little gators that you were about the team first and foremost, as demonstrated by your new love of breaststroke. Cheers to you as you go on to do many amazing things. Let's do an alumni water polo match next year.

    ReplyDelete